Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Are macaws clowns?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Are macaws clowns?

Postby Viatrixa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:57 pm

:macaw: So, exactly what the title says. I've been fascinated by macaws for a while. I don't intend to own one because they are extremely demanding and I respect that hugely, though one never knows what the future holds! They just strike me as the clowns of the parrot world. A lot of species seem to have very clownish tendencies but somehow macaws stick out even from that lot.

They seem to have a definite sense of humor behind their stubbornness, so I'm just wondering about peoples experiences with macaws. I've gotten the impression that content macaws are clowns weather it's in public or when their owners aren't seeing them :roll:
User avatar
Viatrixa
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 118
Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby JessiMuse » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Hm, I don't know... I've seen some pretty goofy birds, but from what I've observed, it seems that macaws just like to hang around.
Image
:lol: joking aside, they do seem to be pretty clownish. I've seen them dance, roll over, hang upside down and all that. I'll leave it to macaw owners to answer this in better detail, though.
JessiMuse
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 241
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch
Flight: Yes

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby Chantilly » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:51 am

I would certainly think so!! Not a macaw owner, but the young Catalinas :macaw: whos cage I get to clean each week, will fly on to my, rip the button of my cap (and geesh getting it back is great fun :roll: :violin: ) , bite my collar, mess up my hair(I think they are preening?), rip/snap my hair bobble out, pull my cap of my head, chew the leather off my steel cap boots, chase the scrubbing brush around and in one way or another find a way to break something. (though it is just their way of playing.)
They are clowns :lol: they are adorably playful too!
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
User avatar
Chantilly
Amazon
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 813
Location: Australia
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby liz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:51 am

All critters can be clowns. Since they do not have to waste energy foraging for their food, they have that energy to clown.
Myrtle is a bigger clown than Rambo. She will go to the end of her shower curtain ring chain, hang upside down by one foot and swing herself.
User avatar
liz
Macaw
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 6865
Location: Hernando FL
Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rainbow
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Flutter Phoenix Jackie Andy Gimpy Louise
Flight: Yes

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby JessiMuse » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:10 pm

liz wrote:All critters can be clowns. Since they do not have to waste energy foraging for their food, they have that energy to clown.
Myrtle is a bigger clown than Rambo. She will go to the end of her shower curtain ring chain, hang upside down by one foot and swing herself.

Even in the wild, it seems that younger parrots can be clowns. Especially cockatoos like Galahs.
I guess now we know where the term: "Silly Galah" comes from. :lol:
JessiMuse
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 241
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch
Flight: Yes

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby Viatrixa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:22 pm

:cockatoo: :D Hehe, I got the impression that cockatoos are sweet but particularly bratty, same goes for tiels; loris are life coaches, african greys tricksters, indian ringnecks are divas, and macaws are clowns. :danicing:

Of course these are all just jokey observations, not actual personality assessments X) most pet parrots I noticed, are actually a blend of these but at times, some trait shows a bit more than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmpnOB1ibI

One funny thing I noticed in this video is that the macaw actually seems to say "BANG" and attempts to point at stuff with his toes; as if his owner taught the "play dead" trick to him but now he tries to do the same to his human. (Naturally I could be wrong xD but it certainly seems like it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mv-7yuvr68

:P Yup, hanging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpDGpuZ9gWE

Trickster grey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97SUX0LEV68

Bratty 'too.

:danicing: :mrgreen: These tiny dinosaurs sure make our lives just so much better with their antics!
User avatar
Viatrixa
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 118
Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby JessiMuse » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:55 pm

I once saw a picture that said: "owning a parrot is like having a two year old with pliers and a fog horn".

I don't think there's a phrase that could better describe what owning a parrot is like, because that basically sums it up. They're pretty exciting. :lol:

Cockatiels are playfully mischievous, too. My tiel Lucy likes to run off with whatever fits in her mouth. Not quite sure why. Probably just likes to redecorate. This especially goes for things I'm using, that I put down for a few minutes. :roll: I call her "Lucy-butt" for a reason. :lol:
JessiMuse
Conure
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 241
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch
Flight: Yes

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby Chantilly » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:59 pm

JessiMuse wrote:I once saw a picture that said: "owning a parrot is like having a two year old with pliers and a fog horn".

I don't think there's a phrase that could better describe what owning a parrot is like, because that basically sums it up. They're pretty exciting. :lol:

Cockatiels are playfully mischievous, too. My tiel Lucy likes to run off with whatever fits in her mouth. Not quite sure why. Probably just likes to redecorate. This especially goes for things I'm using, that I put down for a few minutes. :roll: I call her "Lucy-butt" for a reason. :lol:

Haha that is pretty funny!
Tilly is called Silly-Tilly because she wont stop hanging of things, she has learnt to copy that now she says Silly Tilly in her cute little voice. :lol:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
User avatar
Chantilly
Amazon
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 813
Location: Australia
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby Chantilly » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 pm

Viatrixa wrote::cockatoo: :D Hehe, I got the impression that cockatoos are sweet but particularly bratty, same goes for tiels; loris are life coaches, african greys tricksters, indian ringnecks are divas, and macaws are clowns. :danicing:

Of course these are all just jokey observations, not actual personality assessments X) most pet parrots I noticed, are actually a blend of these but at times, some trait shows a bit more than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmpnOB1ibI

One funny thing I noticed in this video is that the macaw actually seems to say "BANG" and attempts to point at stuff with his toes; as if his owner taught the "play dead" trick to him but now he tries to do the same to his human. (Naturally I could be wrong xD but it certainly seems like it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mv-7yuvr68

:P Yup, hanging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpDGpuZ9gWE

Trickster grey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97SUX0LEV68

Bratty 'too.

:danicing: :mrgreen: These tiny dinosaurs sure make our lives just so much better with their antics!

I couldnt stop laughing through these!
Adding on to the cockatoos, yup, sulfurs and that are brats, black & rose breasted/galahs are teddy bears, and short billed correlas are evil(no offense anyone!).. long bills are show offs. :lol:
Loved the bratty too video :D :D He has a new fan now, this is too cute: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3P19pJYlIoE
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
User avatar
Chantilly
Amazon
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 813
Location: Australia
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Re: Are macaws clowns?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:56 am

I did not see any clowning but then, I often see birds doing behaviors that are completely different from what the owner 'sees'... Mind you, I am not saying I am always right and they are always wrong. All I am saying that is that we don't really know that much about bird behaviors and usually compare them to either human or dog behavior and see things that are not really there.

The first video was of a GW bouncing up and down, a normal behavior that is usually called 'dancing'

The second was of a clipped hyacinth trying to get somewhere (most like its owner) by walking on the floor - which he couldn't do because the dogs stopped him.

The third was of a CAG with either something that called her attention (shiny!) or something that she knows will make her owner come and pay attention to her (she kept on indicating she wanted her head scratched).

The fourth was of a macaw earnestly (and I would say almost desperately) looking for its human (who thought it was great fun to hide from him).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 13331
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Next

Return to Parrot Species

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests

Parrot ForumArticles IndexTraining Step UpParrot Training BlogPoicephalus Parrot InformationParrot Wizard Store